Economical and environmentally friendly
A new production line in Norðurál’s foundry will add to the value of our product without increasing production. Value-added production, which until now has been done abroad, is being moved to Iceland. By using Icelandic electricity our production has a significantly smaller carbon footprint than if it were to take place abroad.
Construction has already started, and full scale groundwork will start in the beginning of 2022. It is projected that the construction will be fast-paced and that installation of equipment will be overin the middle of the year 2023. The new line will start production in Q1 2024.
- Q4 ’21 Preparation of construction site
- Q1 ’22 Groundwork and preparation for construction of new foundry
- Q2 ’22 Waste processing building (gjallhús) starts operation
- Q3 ’22 Installation of high voltage equipment
- Q1 ’23 Construction of new foundry finished
- Q3 ’23 Installation of equipment
- Q4 ’23 Testing of equipment and processes
- Q1 ’24 Start of production