Low-Carbon Aluminum for Premium Products
In Grundartangi since 1997
Norðurál in Grundartangi is among the largest aluminum plants in Europe, with an annual production of 317.000 tons and approximately 600 employees. With Norðurál, Icelanders convert a fragment of the country’s power to a 600 million dollar export product while at the same time promoting the use of environmentally friendly energy sources and materials for vehicles, packaging and numerous other things.
- 2014 Production increase prepared by increasing the power and production of alloy begins. Mercedes-Benz uses aluminum from Norðurál for their C-Class car that is made 50% of aluminum.
- 2015 Norðurál signs the Paris Climate Agreement and thereby commits to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and waste production.
- 2016 Separation of organic waste begins in the cafeteria where 110 thousand meals are served every year. Green parking lots established.
- 2017 Approximately 317.000 tons of aluminum and alloy are produced. Number of employees is 600.
- 2018 All togher! an extensive employee safety project launched that reminds us that safety depends on the cooperation of us all.
- 2019 Norðurál receives ASI certification, for environmentally friendly and responsible production, and Equal pay certification.
- 2020 We introduce Natur-Al ™, low-carbon aluminum with one of the lowest CO₂ footprints in the world.