Low-Carbon Aluminum for Premium Products
Norðurál is the Environmental Company of the Year 2022
We are proud of the accomplishments of our employees on environmental and social issues and grateful for the honor shown to the company with this award.
In Grundartangi since 1997
Norðurál in Grundartangi is among the largest aluminum plants in Europe, with an annual production of 317.000 tons and approximately 600 employees. With Norðurál, Icelanders convert a fragment of the country’s power to a 600 million dollar export product while at the same time promoting the use of environmentally friendly energy sources and materials for vehicles, packaging and numerous other things.
- 2014 Production increase prepared by increasing the power and production of alloy begins. Mercedes-Benz uses aluminum from Norðurál for their C-Class car that is made 50% of aluminum.
- 2015 Norðurál signs the Paris Climate Agreement and thereby commits to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and waste production.
- 2016 Separation of organic waste begins in the cafeteria where 110 thousand meals are served every year. Green parking lots established.
- 2017 Approximately 317.000 tons of aluminum and alloy are produced. Number of employees is 600.
- 2018 All togher! an extensive employee safety project launched that reminds us that safety depends on the cooperation of us all.
- 2019 Norðurál receives ASI certification, for environmentally friendly and responsible production, and Equal pay certification.
- 2020 We introduce Natur-Al ™, low-carbon aluminum with one of the lowest CO₂ footprints in the world.
- 2021 A sales contract for Natur-Al™ with the Austrian company HAI is signed. The first long-term contract for green aluminum, globally.
- 2022 Norðurál chosen The Environmental Company of the year by the Confederation of Icelandic Enterprise.
Our place of work is unusual in a few ways. The “Pot Rooms” are not really rooms, but massive buildings covering a stretch of almost 3 miles. Our stock room is no pantry either, with massive coils of spare wire stacked 60 feet from the ground. We welcome groups for guided tours. Send us a request for a tour by e-mail or call +354 430 1000 and we’ll do our best to find a convenient time to accommodate you.